If you have never tried artichokes you should give this recipe a try. There is something very satisfying about dipping the leafs in some delicious sauce and working your way through until you reach the most delicious part in the bottom/center called the heart.
This artichoke with herb dip recipe was created by my mom and now I am sharing this gem with you all. The dip is a delicious blend of herbs, olive oil, vinegar, salt and pepper and a hard boiled egg (omit if you are on the AIP) cut into tiny pieces. Sounds weird but tastes incredibly delicious! My mom uses the same dip for steamed asparagus but it goes really well with most veggies.
Artichokes are not only delicious, they are really healthy too. They are packed with antioxidants and phytonutrients and are a great source of fiber.
If you have never tried an artichoke before I encourage you to go for it. But you might ask yourself how to cook and eat this funny looking vegetable.
How to cook and eat an artichoke:
- Cut the excess stem and rinse with water. You can cut the top part of the artichoke leafs to remove the spiky part but it is not necessary.
- Boil in lightly salted water for about 35 minutes or until the leafs are easily removed.
- To eat the artichoke pull out the leafs one at a time starting from the outside.
- Dip the base of the leaf into your favorite dip. You only eat the thicker fleshy part by scraping it with your teeth. Discard the remaining leaf.
- Work your way through until you reach the fuzzy center. Gently remove that part with a spoon or knife until you are left with the heart (the bottom of the artichoke).
- Using a fork and knife cut the heart into smaller pieces and enjoy with your favorite dip.
This artichoke with herb dip recipe is a super healthy appetizer and a fun dish to share when you have friends or family over.