Mom’s Special Gravy
My mom’s special gravy is the most delicious sauce for the holiday season. It is simple, full of healthy ingredients, gluten free, grain free, dairy free, Paleo, and AIP. You can find many variations of this recipe in my holiday cookbook “ENJOY – healthy festive meals for you and your loved ones”.
Mom’s Special Gravy
This gravy is probably one of the most delicious sauces I have ever tried. I asked my mom for help because I had no idea how to make one. Luckily she is sharing her wisdom with all of us. My mom’s gravy recipe came out so delicious right on the first try. Thanks, mom!!! I am so excited for you guys to try it. And the good news is, there is no flour required for this recipe! It doesn’t just taste divine it is actually very healthy. Just like all my recipes this sauce is gluten free, grain free, dairy free, Paleo and AIP. You will be surprised how few ingredients this sauce is made of and how simple it is to make.
The secret behind my mom’s special gravy is letting vegetables roast in the juices of the meat that you are cooking. This recipe is a template you use with your roast of choice. In my holiday cookbook, you can find examples of making this sauce or a variety of it with chicken, duck, and pork.
This sauce is so delicious and if you are making a roast, it is really just a super delicious bi-product of what you are already making. That way it is also simple and fast to make.
How to Make this Gravy
- Simply add chopped carrots, leeks, celery, onion, garlic, and apple and fresh herbs like thyme, sage, and rosemary to the casserole and let them roast with for example chicken or turkey for about 1 hour total. You want the vegetables and the apple to be very soft.
- To make the gravy, skim off excess fat and take out thyme and rosemary sprigs. Pour the juice and veggies through a fine-mesh strainer into a saucepan to use as a base for the gravy. Purée veggies in a blender until very smooth and add approximately half to the base.
- Add 1 cup of broth and 2 Tbsp of wine. Taste to check if you want to add the rest of the wine. Adjust the taste by adding more broth, wine, salt, and pepper to your liking. For a thicker gravy add more of the veggie puree.
- This recipe is very simple to make and the outcome will be a gourmet chef style super delicious wine gravy. Since everything is made from scratch the amounts of the wine, extra stock, water, etc will vary. But the good news is you will get to taste the delicious sauce a couple of times during the cooking process to make it exactly the way you like it the most.
How to Adjust My Mom’s Special Gravy to your Taste:
- For a thinner sauce, add water or more broth.
- Homemade bone broth is often more flavorful than store-bought.
- Start slowly with the wine and add as much as you like. Make sure you bring it to a boil to cook down the alcohol.
- If your sauce turns out too thin, add more of the veggie puree.
More Holiday Recipes
- Rosemary Crusted Lamb Chop Holiday Meal (AIP)
- Grain-Free Stuffing (Paleo)
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts (AIP)
- Cranberry Sauce (AIP)
- Herb Roasted Chicken (AIP)
Try my herb-roasted chicken and simply add the vegetables, apple, and herbs into the casserole. This will be the perfect sauce for the holiday season. For even more holiday recipes, make sure you check out my holiday cookbook. Featuring a full Thanksgiving menu with a pumpkin pie and more.
Now I would love to hear from you. Try the recipe and let me know what you think in the comment section below. And as always don’t forget to tag me in your food pictures on Instagram.